Monday, June 26th, 2017 by Gwen Hurd
Spray foam insulation gets a ton of press, everyone’s talking about spray foam this and spray foam that. And we already know all about fiberglass insulation. I’m sure most of us, at some point in our lives, have even experienced the fiberglass itch effect. But plenty of people have never heard of my favorite kind of insulation- cellulose!
(Note: Just because it’s my favorite, doesn’t mean it’s the best for your space. Dr. Energy Saver Northshore can prescribe a specific solution for your home.)
So let’s talk about why cellulose is my favorite:
1. Cellulose is “green” or “eco-friendly.” Amazingly, cellulose is 80% post-consumer recycled newspaper. Additionally, cellulose requires less energy to manufacture than fiberglass.
2. Cellulose has an R-value of R-4 per inch. But cellulose also blocks air flow incredibly well, which makes it even more effective when densely packed.
3. Cellulose is easily buildable. Meaning that you can just keep adding more and more cellulose to get to your desired R value.
4. Cellulose is fire resistant. Fire resistant paper? Yes. It’s treated with fire-resistant chemicals. It more resistant to fire than fiberglass. In controlled burns, homes insulated with cellulose will burn more slowly than homes insulated with fiberglass, giving your family extra time to escape.
5. Cellulose can easily be installed AFTER a home is built. Foam board and fiberglass insulation requires open access to walls, but cellulose can be blown into walls through exterior holes. Those holes can easily be patched, leaving the homeowner with new insulation and no evidence of construction.
There you have it! Cellulose insulation is my favorite, it’s “green,” safe, easy to install, and effective. Contact Dr. Energy Saver Northshore today to see if cellulose might be right for your home!